Poker is a family of card games that combines strategy and skill coupled with hard work and perseverance. Whether you choose to play at live poker rooms in India or try your hands at online poker portals, it’s an enjoyable and lucrative mind sport.
A Serious Sport
Looks like a game, but poker is a darn serious sport that requires immense dedication and discipline to master the tricks of the trait. But, don’t you worry. Whether you want to play poker professionally or just for fun, you will love to prep with our quick guide on how to play poker.
Now, first things first – Hand rankings. Familiarize yourself with the Texas Hold’em hand ranking hierarchy to understand the basic poker game rules.
- Royal Flush – The top hand rank that surpasses all other hand rankings. It is formed with ace, king, queen, jack, and ten of a single suit.
- Straight Flush – Five cards in a sequence in the same suit gives you a straight flush.
- Four of a Kind – Five but one card of the same rank, any suit, is called Four of a Kind. The odd rank is called ‘kicker’.
- Full House – Three cards of same rank and a pair of another rank gives you a full house.
- Flush – If you have five cards of same suit but not in sequence, then that’s a flush.
- Straight – Five cards not of same suit but in sequence is a straight.
- Three of a kind – Three cards of the same rank along with two unrelated cards make three of a kind.
- Two-pair – Two pairs of different ranks each and a side kicker is called two pair.
- Pair – A pair of matching rank and rest three unrelated side cards is called a pair.
- High Card – When none of the above hand rankings forms, the highest card wins.
No-Limit Hold’em Poker
No-Limit Hold’em, aka “Texas Hold’em, is one of the most played poker game formats we see. A standard 52-card deck is used, and it can be played by 2-10 players at a single table. After that, if you have enough tables and space you can play with thousands of players at one time in a poker tournament format.
In the game, each player at the table is dealt two cards face down. After that, the players use the cards in combination with five shared community cards to make their best five-card poker hand. And the player with the best hand wins the pot. Usually, there are four rounds of betting.
Lot of online poker tournaments played across several online poker portals are based on this variant. One can easily download poker app free and play poker games online to practice and learn the game. What’s even better is that while you learn how to play poker online, you can go through several poker strategies and tutorials to improve your performance each time. Putting your analytical and number crunching skills to test is what poker is all about.
This is the second-most popular poker variant. Omaha poker finds its roots in the game of Texas Hold’em, although the rules of the two games are a little different from each other. This can also be played by anywhere from 2-10 players at a single table. The most common mistake players make is forgetting the rule about it being mandatory to use two of the four hole cards along with three community cards to make a hand as beginners.
Few tips to help you get going
One should only play 18-20% of the hands at a standard nine-handed table. However, you can loosen up that range if you’re playing against less than eight other opponents. You should avoid calling a lot, as a rookie it is understandable that you would want to call than bet to avoid risks, however, sometimes it is important to have faith in one’s cards.